We discovered this coal mine using Google Earth. We visited it in July 2007. Most of the buildings are being used by several companies. There were some ruins left which could be climbed. Not very interesting.
In 1867 the mining at this site started. The name of the mine was changed in 1872. In 1931 the mine joins forces with three other mines from the area. In 1939 the mine was nationalized by the government at the time and after the war ended up in the Salzgitter concern, which still exists. After the war the allies stopped production, only to to allow starting it at the end of 1945. In time several shafts were abandoned and demolished, while new shafts were being build. There were also some fatal accidents in the mine. In 1965 the mine was closed. It was no longer economically viable to mine coals here due to geological circumstances. The cokes factory was kept running until 1978. The buildings of the mine all have new functions except for one building and the storage tanks, which are rusting away in a forest.